Thursday, August 26, 2010

Running in the Desert

I have been enjoying my week in Arizona. I cannot describe and I know my pictures will not bring justice to the beauty surrounding me.

This morning, I continued my training (as I have all week, having brought my jump rope, mini-band, hiking shoes and running shoes), and took the power walk journey to a run. I know you are probably asking why I would have spent some time doing power walking when I am a runner..... the truth has to do with the altitude change here. I am used to running at an altitude close to sea level.... here, I am in the mountains. Yes, the desert is in the mountains... there are mountains and mesas and sesas all around us.... And in that, I know there is less oxygen.

Today, I turned the power walk into a run..... and I ran out to Sesa-Ah...(pics later)... which is about a mile and a half away. (I know, I know.... I am training for a marathon, what's a mile and a half?)
This trip was run on a road of compacted red sand, with many hills and in a different altitude. The total run was 6km-- about 4miles, and it was plenty. I worked the hills.... as we know hills are speed work in disguise.... and I pushed hard, until I needed to slow the pace to recover and breath.

I now feel spent.

I am looking forward to possibly walking a gully wash later this afternoon and exploring some of the desert.


No comments:

Post a Comment