Saturday, August 7, 2010

Diet Mountain Dew

I love an occasional Diet Mountain Dew..... maybe one a month or less. Sometimes, I am just in the mood for the cold swizzies and fizzies in my mouth.

Is it the best choice for me? Probably not, and I get that. I also know and understand all the BAD, BAD, BAD things related to soda... trust me, I could give the lecture.


I tweeted the other day.... after a hard training day, I want a diet mountain dew.

I get a response from a very 'fake' person...... ooooooh, don't do that, with a link from a doctor about all the negative and addictive affects of soda. OK?
My response.... was thanks for the deets, but let's have this conversation after you train like I am training.... The response.... Oh trust me I get it (clearly you don't), I have a MS in ex phys and I have logged over 20 years of training hours in fitness..... (again, you don't get it...by any stretch of the imagination, but go ahead and tell yourself you do)....
*Don't get me wrong, i am not saying people who go to the gym religiously and train aren't training hard.... but most people who are in a gym have no purpose or direction... and wouldn't know how to follow a training regimen or create one by any stretch of the imagination.... and yes, those who work with a personal trainer might be training harder, but honestly most personal trainers out there haven't a clue.*

I am training ultimately for a 70.3 mile and then a 140 mile race... Most endurance athletes I know have consumed soda at some point in their training... for the caffeine, and/or as I described the fizzies in the mouth... no other product comes close.
Granted, there are much better choices for nutrients and recovery and fueling......

I remember when a friend was training for her first marathon, she would crave a beer. Her coach told her that she was probably craving the carbohydrates... and she would actually have a sip or two and she would be satisfied. I could have given her a lecture on the bad, bad, bad.... but if her coach wasn't worried, why should I be.... instead, i was like, that makes sense.

As for me, well.... I rarely entertain what someone has to say when they jump in my face and scream BAD, BAD, BAD..... (note to self.... step back and earn someone's confidence/trust to be able to share).... and I am probably like yeah, I know as I have another swallow of the bad stuff.

And this person only knows me on twitter.

That said..... I will continue to enjoy an occasional Diet Mountain Dew. Most of the time, it is a swallow or two... and yes, I know it is BAD, BAD, BAD.... It has something I need at that moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment