Thursday, August 19, 2010

Muscle Maker Grill

Call me a skeptic, but when they first advertised they were coming to town.... I was like, wow.... just what we need, more processed food.

Today, I decided to eat from their menu.

ON the menu, it boasts, 'Call ahead-- We're always busy'.... someone didn't get the memo, as I was the only one in the shop, besides the employees. Maybe because it was after lunch rush...

I was greeted by shelves that were loaded with protein in a bottle... in various forms and designs... the stuff that only 50% is absorbed if you are lucky... stuff I would never use... and in the coolers all kinds of 'muscle drinks' from muscle milk, to isopure, to shockingly water....

I had the Godfather.... described from the menu as 'Low Carb Solution' -- grilled chicken breast, portabella mushrooms, red roasted peppers, reduced fat mozzarella cheese and fat-free balsamic vinaigrette, on a bed of broccoli.

Ok... it was good. It wasn't amazing! It wasn't to die for...... I had just finished my ride and I was hungry. (They looked at me funny, b/c I came in just after my ride... bandana on, sweaty, muddy, camelback and a bottle of water.... the look spoke volumes.) But I was hungry, and the drama is theirs..... Period. End of story.....
It is clear they have bought the myths that are being sold to the american public that protein means meat..... my piece of chicken breast was actually three servings.... as a serving should fit in the palm of your hand, or the size of a deck of cards.
And there were a total of four pieces of broccoli... lots of florets, little to no stalk... they got that right....
BUT, I WISH the quantity of the chicken and the broccoli were reversed. Per calorie there is more protein in broccoli than chicken, and the other things that broccoli provides esp for me in recovery would have been nice. (I got home and steamed some broccoli to augment the lacking). The broccoli they served wasn't overcooked; it was just right.....again, there wasn't enough of it.
The rest of the dish was ok.... the combination of the peppers and mushrooms with the balsamic vinaigrette was an interesting texture and taste, and not over bearing.... the cheese tasted funny to me...
As an endurance athlete, when I eat fats.... I eat whole fats, I need these, and so, if I eat cheese that is low-fat, it tastes funny..... and I always ask myself, what did they put in the cheese to make it low-fat.... and as of my paleo journey, I am eating little to no cheese, (being scandinavian, that is a challenge).

Scouring over the rest of the menu.... they have lots of 'protein crap'.... shakes, etc, frozen yogurt, and dishes that either are a wrap, or have pasta, and the quantity of meat on the plate is ridiculous.... even the vegetarian choices are surrounded by those grains....
So, it seems since I don't eat grains.... I will not be frequenting their shop.

I got the impression that it is run by individuals with a 'meat-head' gym mentality....
who have bought into the whole body-builder fitness garbage....
sorry, body-builders, many of you are not healthy.....
And I was not impressed.

I would rather have steamed beef with broccoli with the sauce on the side from my local chinese restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment