Wednesday, September 8, 2010

SWIM!

I managed to swim most of the 1600 yards that I was scheduled to swim.

I felt distracted..... my feet and calves wanted to cramp. BOO! So, I was trying to swim more than free-style to prevent this. And after a summer of traveling more than i swam, my swim felt weak. I had the endurance capability. I didn't feel surrounded by water when I was swimming.....

honestly, i think i was annoyed...... the two lifeguards at the pool did not acknowledge me when i arrived (i was the only swimmer).... i asked for a kickboard and was directed by a point, as if the two had something better to do. and when i got in the water..... the two were texting, reading a book, magazines... and whatever else one who is supposed to be watching a swimmer in the water should not be doing. it really annoyed me.

granted i totally get that the job can be boring..... swimmers go back and forth and back and forth and you are to watch them.... but i wonder what would have happened if i needed help. would i have had to rescue myself? i know i can do that... but seriously, these guys were being paid to watch and protect me.... and their reading/texting material seemed more important than me.

and what frustrated me even more.... when i said something, candidly.... 'i didn't realize this job was so simple now, one can read a book while doing it'.... i was told that they were *watching* the pool. i just said....if you were watching the pool, you would not have been reading. i have been a lifeguard (still am) longer than you have been alive, and you don't read when on duty......

i don't understand. doesn't anyone take pride in their work?

so, my first swim at the college was ok. i bet those guys are better behaved when i swim again.

No comments:

Post a Comment