Monday, September 13, 2010

Back to the Paleo....

It is Day 51 of my 100-day challenge (day 12 with my students) and I suspect that I am not getting enough protein or BCAAs (branch-chain amino acids). While I am eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, I don't know if I am eating enough calories in general.

And I remembered a conversation I had at the beginning of the year with a nutritionist..... At the time, she asked me if I was hungry at the end of the day, and thought I wasn't getting enough protein or calories.... I increased the calories and well, I wonder if I am not getting enough protein.

So, I am refocusing (again) on my eating-- and will be comprehensively following the Paleo Diet.... I am permitted to eat as much lean meats, poultry, seafood, fresh fruit and veggies as I want, and limited nuts (like a handful of almonds).
I cannot eat cereal or grains, dairy products, high-glycemic fruits or veggies, legumes, alochol, salty foods, fatty meats, refined sugars or nearly all processed foods.

The caveat surrounds my training and competition.... Since the book, The Paleo Diet for Athletes contains the guidelines, I will be following the advice for pre and post exercise meals, which can include sweet potatoes, bananas, yams, or melons.

And of course a cup of coffee..... every day.

I look forward to sharing my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment