Monday, September 20, 2010

A Sunday Ride

Sunday, yesterday, I found myself voyaging south on the canal to work with a client. And so, I seized the opportunity to bike to and fro her house.

A gorgeous day greeted me. Was a bit concerned as I was somewhat awake until 3am. Not my ideal, but I was able to get enough sleep before I went out. I ate a solid breakfast comprised of two scrambled eggs, some olives and pineapple.

And I prepared my water, my bars, my fuel for the ride so to speak..... AND off I went to ride 30miles one-way.

The canal was full of people, so my choice to ride at a moderate tempo was wise. (Wish people knew how to share). And the ride went smoothly.

I drank all the water in my camelback reservoir and refilled at Dunkin Donuts before finishing the last of the trip to my clients home. I also drank water in DD and had one of my 'energy' bars.

The return trip was easy until I hit the 45-50 mile mark in my journey. That is when I got tired. I stopped and ate another bar, drank some of my amino vital, and enjoyed sitting on a bench. My abs were tired and I was struggling with them not cramping. My legs struggled, not with pedaling, but with strength getting on and off the bike.
I got to the point where I am less than 2miles from home, and there is a big spill-way on the canal, that dips like a 'stunt-hill.' I always walk that and I struggled with my quad strength walking down and then back up the hill. And I got back on the bike for the remainder of the trip home.

ONCE home, I showered and ate and watched a CSI episode to unwind and felt myself fighting with sleep. When I decided to go to sleep, I found my Right Vastus Medialis (inner quad) had cramped... and ow, ow, ow.... pain like I cannot describe. To circumvent, I licked the 'shots' worth of salt and drank some water. And eventually the cramp subsided.

I am glad Mondays are a scheduled rest day. My body needs to recover. I feel a little 'achy' from the distance, but I don't feel like I cannot move. The struggle to finish was a good one, and I am glad I accomplished this. I do know I need a new mountain bike though.


No comments:

Post a Comment