Sunday, September 12, 2010

Remembering.....

Yesterday..........

11 September 2010.... and on 11 September 2001, my country was attacked. I was in NYC that day.... fortunately, my life was spared. I was at 91st and York working at Asphalt Green, and someone said it was on the radio that a commuter plane hit the world trade center, and then another..... and I remember chaos. It was surreal....

The pool closed.

We went across the street to watch the news. We watched the second tower fall. We were told we could use the facility as a 'safe-house.'

And I remember watching the phone.... many calls coming in.... and until the satellite was overhead, I couldn't connect. I finally did. It was my sister.... I told her that I was safe... and that I would be emailing mom a list of people to phone.... to let them know I was ok.

And then the day began. I spent several hours at a friends house. And then when they announced that the ferries were taking people back home to NJ, I walked...... down to chelsea piers..... to get on a ferry.... to go to weehawken..... to walk...... up the staircase on the palisade..... to union city and home.

After all that walking, I climbed in the shower and took the longest and hottest shower possible.... AND I crawled into bed and didn't move for a couple days.


Yesterday, I shed a tear at the memory of the loss.... and I remembered. And I knew I was blessed because I have life.... and I went for a bike ride.

To celebrate life and to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment