Monday, July 25, 2011

What to Eat.....

I am reading this really cool book about food. What to Eat by Marion Nestle. (I recommend it). It is not a diet book-- so, Marion Nestle is NOT providing an eating or meal plan. Instead she discusses some of the issues relative to food and the food industry.... and how we need to change our thinking.

Her 'diet advice' is this: eat less, move more, eat lots of fruits and vegetables. And then for further clarification: go easy on the junk food.

Sounds relatively simple. And yet at times, we make this the most complicated. As a multi-sport athlete, I have the opportunity to consume many gels and goos and protein powders... and while each has its place and may be appropriate, there is nothing like real food. And how many times do we see someone in a gym post workout getting a protein shake. (My thought is when I see this, did that person do enough work that they need that many calories?)

In my journey, I am returning to this mantra.... eat less. eat when you are hungry.... did you know true hunger is experienced in the throat, not in the gut? the experience we feel in the gut is very much like the response to an addiction. move more. I better be training for these various road races and a half-ironman. eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I have been exploring the south coast and finding local farmers, and buying from them. I know the food is fresh-- in the supermarket fresh.... may be a week to ten days old.
go easy on the junk food. I suppose one would have to define junk food... in my world, it is processed food. it might be the powders and goos and gels. and it might be ice cream and it might be some of other form of white refined stuff that is sold as food.

I am eliminating the processed food from my pallet and I feel great.
ON a different note.... I eat like a warrior or a spartan.... live foods during the day, veggies, fruits, some protein like yogurt or eggs, but more in a fasting state.... and then one large meal at night. This works for me. It may not for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment