Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Personal Trainers......

Honestly, I hate what the gyms refer to as "TRAINERS".....
You know those people at the gym who have it plastered on the back of their shirts....

'TRAINER'....


NOTE: some of these individuals are extremely focused and goal-oriented and professional..... and then there are the rest of them.


While training this morning, at the facility local facility I frequent, I observed several of these so-called trainers at work..... if that's what they would like to call it.
(Honestly, I would not hire anyone of them). The four that I observed all looked like babysitters.

-Training should have an objective or directive. --- Why are you training? period.

-Each training session should have an objective that supports the overall directive. --- What are we trying to accomplish today? Kinda like a lesson plan..... Training/teaching/coaching with an expected outcome. In other words, why are you doing what you are doing. For that day. For that week. For that month.... etc.

-Everything performed should be orchestrated to accomplish the overall goal.


*Maybe I don't get it.... but when I am with a client, I have a clipboard and an individual training session for that day..... with the objectives of the session, notations for the day, reminders, questions to ask, notes from the previous session... follow-up on homework. I have a file-folder on all my clients.... with not only personal history, but goals, objectives and all the notes from training sessions.... and other notes to vary the overall training calendar.


At this facility, not one trainer had a clip-board or a sheet of paper or something to indicate where the client would be taken today. Not one had a pen or pencil tucked behind his/her ear to make notations of the accomplishments. Not one came across as professional to me.

It was pretty scary to see the clients just being led around like sheep or cattle from one exercise to another......

Maybe my expectations are different. I want to be coached. I want to know what the goal for the session is. I want to know why we are doing. I want to know that we are learning new skills that will help with my overall performance later. I want to be taught-- not just led through the work. If I know the expectations, I might better know when I am supposed to really push through a movement pattern and I might better know when I am supposed to just build on the previous exercise. I might be more effective in my overall training and accomplishing my goals.

I was pretty amazed that people actually pay to be led like sheep.
I am shocked that people don't want to be educated and instructed.
I am challenging myself to bring purpose to my client's training and continuing to educate them on the expectations surrounding their objectives.

Maybe that is why I am a coach..........

No comments:

Post a Comment