Sunday, October 17, 2010

Weight Gain while Working in a Gym????

Yesterday,

I returned to my old stomping grounds.... I visited NYC and specifically attended a workshop at Club H, a fitness center I used to work for. It was interesting to return to this commercial gym. While I worked there, I did private coaching (personal training), while i was teaching at a local college... And while they claimed to be different than any other commercial gym, they were the same. It was a numbers game. As long as you were producing, you were important.

And..... so, my relationship at club h came to a screeching halt.... after my numbers dropped, i was pursuing interests and opportunities elsewhere and the management really didn't seem interested in me anymore.

While I was there..... I gained weight. And a good friend of mine who is still a coach for the organization, did too.
One would not expect a private coach, working in a gym to gain weight. But it does happen.

IN the commercial gym setting, trainers are expected to train, to produce, to generate clientele, which in turn generates money for the club. And sometimes, in the stress of production and playing the numbers game.... the health and fitness of the trainer gets overlooked.

During my tenure at Club H, I was commuting. My commute was a part-time job. I wanted to train clients around my teaching schedule. And the club wanted weekends and nights and mornings and every open time..... And I was tired.
Well, we know that when someone doesn't get enough sleep or is under stress, the body produces cortisol to protect itself. Cortisol is like the fat jail-keeper... it rounds up the fat and stores it. And until the cortisol levels drop, the fat stays..... regardless of what you are doing.

And...... at times, when i had a break, the last thing on my mind was working out.

So, the dynamic challenge of training and programming and then training myself.... was always off balance. And in the end..... i gained some weight. My friend did as well.... and she was the one who inspired me to the 100 day challenge. She just recently put herself through this challenge and lost 25 pounds! Amazing!! And she looks great!!!!


Regardless of our work situation, it is easy to get lost in the shuffle.
It is easy to forget about ourselves and focus on stuff around us.

Part of the reason for my 100 day challenges and refocusing at the beginning of the calendar year as well as the beginning of my birth year. I cannot afford to be lost.



No comments:

Post a Comment