Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Results

And so...... my attempt at running my first marathon post-cycling accident didn't go as planned.... BUT IT IS ALL GOOD!

My travels to milwaukee were interesting and delayed.... due to the rain in the northeast. Everything was backed up. Fortunately, I was only delayed about 90 minutes....

And then I had to make adjustments in my eating.... not-only pre-race, but my cousins eat like a typical american..... lots and lots and lots of grains.... *doesn't work for me* (As a result I gained 4 pounds in this adventure-- pretty certain it is water weight, and will drop as i readjust to post-flying and resuming training diet.)

The night before the race.... had some pretty wild dreams..... scary!!!!

And then I was struggling.... my legs were cramping, my body was not feeling rested, and I was not certain what was going to happen.... Sunday morning, I woke.... not feeling excellent... BUT I was going to give it a whirl and see what happens.

And after the pre-race rituals.... I started. And I felt great..... was starting my pace between the four-hour and four hour thirty minute groups to find a tempo and then move from there..... AND I felt awesome at the start.... UNTIL..... THE 5k mark.... my body broke down...... and so, I stopped the race.
My thought is: It is better to be able to run another day!!!!

And I enjoyed watching the finishers cross the line.... It was really COOL!!!

(looking forward to volunteering at a race in the future!!! and giving back!)


This morning..... I evaluated what happened.....
Part of it: summer and the ugly weather.
Part of it: I lost my focus.... I was doing more cross-training to keep the cardio-fitness up, but in the month of September... I had only run a total of 35K total. NOT GOOD!


My new goals: I am taking some time off.... to regain my focus. I am working with my college kids on a cycling program and a 10-week iron-man, so I will be doing things. But I am taking a rest.

In about a week, I will recommence training.

I am setting goals for 2011 and 2012.... AND I am planning my races.


No comments:

Post a Comment