Sunday, October 17, 2010

And what is the point of your training?

'I don't think they give any awards for workouts. To the best of my knowledge, there are no gold medals for 'Most Mileage.' -- Craig Virgin, three time Olympian.


I love this quote.... as I attended a workshop yesterday, I had to laugh. Some trainers have people convinced that just working out is the way to be.... and some people I talk to are just so excited about being able to complete two workouts in the week.... b/c they don't have the time (time-- that's a completely different post... managing time and priorities.... seriously, when you say you don't have time, I ask who is managing whom... you time, or time you).... And those who just train and never step into competition.

I love to train. If I didn't, I wouldn't do it..... year round.
But there has to be a point to my training. There has to be a milestone to cross. In fitness centers throughout the country, mindless fitness can be observed.... day in and day out... people just doing. WHY? What is it that is expected? What is it that needs to be accomplished?

And that is where racing comes in..... We race to measure fitness. We race to test ourselves. We race to determine the efficacy of our training. We race because it is fun.

Some people use other competitions to measure these components.

But the point is..... there is no gold medal for most mileage. Get out there and measure your fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment