Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Training in the Cold.....

With the chill that has descended on the northeast, it is a challenge to get out of bed, let alone decide how to dress appropriately for training outside. I struggle with the ideal of running on a treadmill.... when it is possible for me to run outside.

And so, the socks get thicker, the running tights become cold gear, an extra layer or two is under the standard sweatshirt I run in. And add in gloves and a hat. I can deal with the cold. I can even deal with the snow.... My biggest challenge is wind and cold icy rain.

In the cold weather, it takes longer to warm-up, even if I am performing a warm-up in the house before I head out for the run. I need to recognize and understand when my legs feel warm..... if I push too hard, too soon, I could potentially injure myself. My warm-up is more than an easy run, prior to the run, I am moving.... lunging and reaching, walking with a medicine ball, skipping, perhaps even jumping rope.... to prepare my body to go! (These activities I do regardless of the weather) and then I move into an easy run.....
I save my stretching for after my shower, when I have warmed up from being outside again.

And this morning, was no different.... I was motivated to stay in bed a little longer than usual, as I was listening to the wind whip around the house. I did some reading and then attacked the planned training for the day.... In dressing, I chose my lined tights (for warmth.... need more of these), a long-sleeve tech shirt and a thermal, my hoodie, and my fleece hat and gloves.
I look like a mish-mosh of assorted colors at times.... but I want to be seen and I want to be warm!!! (I almost felt too warm with the thermal, but once the wind started blowing around mile #3, I was glad that I chose to wear the thermal.....

It always gets interesting at the end of the run, as I head up to the gym...... and I am soaked. I try to peel off some layers, without getting too cold, or too adjusted to the heat in the facility..... b/c I know I am going back outside to run or walk home.
Today, I took off the thermal and kept the hoodie and tech shirt intact..... I trained inside with more lunges, med ball work, core work and remedial work with the mini-band.

When I started to chill, I headed back home, to shower and get warm.

I am truly thankful for coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment