Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Flow......

I managed to experience something I haven't experienced since my pre-retirement race.....
well, way back when, when I was still running 400s....

FLOW.....
some call it being in the zone, some call it something else.... you know that point in time,
where the world seems to be moving in slow motion and you are only aware of the movements and actions you are taking..... colors are so bright and the sounds around you are so distinct, yet far away.... and everything seems to be in harmony, so you can move at the speed and tempo necessary to achieve your goals for the day.

And today, was just a training run.... 6 miles at base pace.... and well, my base pace keeps getting faster... and my former base pace feels slow.....

But today, as I was approaching the first 5k (in my 10k training run)..... i just felt like nothing was holding me back, down or suppressing the ability to move.... i could see each movement of my body synchronized as one collective movement for the greater good....
As I flew through the run....
As I maintained a speedy and strong tempo comfortably for the following 3 miles.

The cold didn't bother me.... in fact, i felt hot....
The wind assisted me.... even though, i was running into it.....
And my legs felt like springs....
I could feel the recoil and the flight.... in slow-motion, and yet, I was moving at a speedy pace.

And when it was complete.....
I asked myself, where have you been and why can't i do that on every run.....

I had managed to conquer the mental game today.

No comments:

Post a Comment