Monday, January 2, 2012

January 2

How much happiness is gained, and how much misery escaped, by frequent and violent agitation of the body. -- Samuel Johnson

The main goal of running is not to finish first, or run faster than you ever have before, or beat your competitors, although any one of these can be, at times, a very worthy goal.

The main goal of running is to enjoy yourself. Whenever you run, keep that in mind.

There is one indisputable rule of the roads: If you do not enjoy running, you will not run. If you do not run, you will not reap any benefits from it.

Everything starts with fun, a sense of play. Lacking that, all is lost. Though runners often work desperately hard at it, most love what do and get an elemental charge from it. To borrow a line, at the heart of every runner is a little boy or girl.

Inevitably some days seem more like work than pleasure. When this occurs, ask yourself, Are you focusing too much on the duty and routine, times and mileage? Every day is a good day when you run. Remember that, and you'll be fine.

*From The Runner's Book of Daily Inspiration*

Today, my running resumes. I have struggled the past week recovering from being sick, and I have missed running. I love the feeling of pushing myself to run faster; I love the ability to be outside, regardless of the weather. I love the sun and the rain, and I love running in each of those. I love running in the snow.

This morning.... I redirected my 21 day challenge. I recommenced the 21 days today. The month of January will be focused on and directed to challenging myself to be the best I can be.

And today, begins the new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment