Monday, February 27, 2012

Hyannis Half: The Report

The result: I finished.

Honestly, when I started this run I did not know how it would end. I had been struggling with training after being sick. My goal was to use this half marathon as a training day. I was using it to determine my fitness level.

The morning of the race was cold. It was windy, and I knew it would be colder as on the run by the water front.

Well.... the race unfolded.

First and foremost, I loved this course. I am looking forward to running it next year. I anticipate a much different run and scenario. The Hyannis Half is a gorgeous run.

As the race began, I was reminded of the words of Jimmy Radcliffe, a coach I respect and admire, 'The best way to get in shape is to stay in shape.' These words could not have held more true. I was reflecting on the fact that my base fitness was sketchy at best. This winter has not been kind to me in training.

My goal was to finish.

And the race unfolded. I ran a phenomenal opening 7 miles. As the course brought me to the water front, the cold air hit my chest like a ton of bricks. I knew then there would be no negative split; there would be no PR today. Not that I expected one. I wanted to finish.

The cold air felt like it froze in my lungs, causing me to gasp for more. I felt a crushing feeling in my lungs. I was hyperventilating. And as I was hyperventilating, the muscles in my body were reminding me they needed oxygen. And I threw-up. That changed everything.

I walked the experience off as best as a could. The next 6.1 miles were the biggest challenge or struggle of my life. I walked and slogged to the finish. I was lapped and passed by everyone. I kept saying I was not going to give up. I was photographed. I coughed. And yet, I continued moving toward the finish line.

As I approached the finish, I was struggling..... my calves and my quads wanted to cramp. I slogged to the finish. And I crossed the line. I finished the race. I did not quit.

The race that opened the 2012 season was not anything like I anticipated.
I finished the first race of the Cape Cod Trilogy.

I trust that my training will resume before the weeks end. I anticipate achieving competition fitness soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment