Sunday, January 6, 2013

So..... what is it that you eat?

So..... what is it that you CAN EAT?


I laughed when I read that comment in response to a Face Book post about what not to eat on the WholeFoods 30 program.  It reminded me of the commentary I receive when I share that I eat a predominantly plant-based diet.  The WholeFoods 30 is derived from the book, It Starts with the Food, by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig.


This book is promoted by the Paleo/Cross-Fit Movement.  AND while many of you know that I don't approve of Cross-Fit for so many reasons, I wonder if they realize their food choices movement was actually started by many doctors before them.  I wonder if they were part of the group that was skeptical of the work of those physicians, or do they accept it now because of the supposed sport of fitness or the desire to be the 'most fit group on the planet.'

Essentially, the *rules* are:

  1. Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
  1. Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. Yes, we said corn… for the purposes of this program, corn is a grain! This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.
  2. Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
  3. Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)
  4. Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.
  5. Do not eat white potatoes. This is somewhat arbitrary, but if we are trying to change your habits and improve the hormonal impact of your food choices, it’s best to leave white, red, purple, Yukon gold and fingerling potatoes off your plate.

In addition, no Paleo-ifying dessert or junk food choices. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say, “Paleo pizza.”  This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved” ingredients—no coconut-flour pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don’t try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely.
One last and final rule. You are not allowed to step on the scale or take any body measurements for the duration of the program. This is about so much more than just weight loss, and to focus on your body composition means you’ll miss out on the most dramatic and lifelong benefits this plan has to offer. So, no weighing yourself, analyzing body fat or taking comparative measurements during your Whole30. (We do encourage you to weigh yourself before and after, however, so you can see one of the more tangible results of your efforts when your program is over.)
**Granted they have exceptions like Ghee and various other things***


My personal philosophy has been to eliminate processed foods.  

AND yes, those shakes that many of the chain companies sell as a super food or a meal-replacement are processed foods.  If it comes in a package, it is processed.  

I like the idea of making a commitment of a month, and stepping on the scale at the beginning and waiting until the end of the month to note the progress.  I have found that when I step on the scale daily, I beat myself up when my body does its normal fluctuations-- retaining water, hormone stuff, etc-- on a daily basis.  Even weekly.  By waiting for a block of time, and not relying solely on the scale-- using girth measurements, and/or body composition-- the progress might be more meaningful.  



I have been reading and following The Engine 2 Diet, by Rip Esselstyn.  AND I have gotten many comments about my protein consumption, or 'the lack there of.'  More commonly, I am reminded that I cannot just live on salad.  
I challenged myself this year to try a new fruit or vegetable every week, or to eat a fruit or veggie that I haven't eaten in a while.  The purpose is to learn new foods, to expand my horizons.   

So.....
for those of you who still questions what to eat..... 



What to Eat, by Marion Nestle examines the food industry.  She thoroughly discusses local markets, groceries, organic vs. non-organic, and costs of eating.  I am enjoying and learning from this read.  

So.... what is it that I eat?

fruits and veggies first, nuts, seeds, an occasional piece of fish or meat (because I want it, not because I need it), spices, and some oatmeal from time to time.....


Oh, I also eat like a warrior.   That means..... I eat the majority of my calories later in the day and do a controlled fast during the day.  I do not eat six meals a day.  I eat when I am hungry, and not because the addict in my stomach is screaming for a fix.  I feel better because of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment