Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Caution: Slow Moving Vehicle


Caution:   Slow - Moving Vehicle Ahead......

or better yet, the sign should have read:  

Caution:  Slow runner/Hamstring Recovery In Progress


AND YET.... I am the only one who seemed to care.    Just me.   

Out on my first run of the year, I managed to run one minute pain free and repeat that seven times, with a five minute brisk walk between each run.   The minute is the current breaking point-- the point where the hamstring feels like it is going to seize from the work imposed during the absorption, coil and recoil, and extension of the muscle as it is moving through the running cycle.   

AND so.... I felt like a slow moving vehicle.   I traveled 2.9 miles (goal was 3.0) in 53:31 and an average pace of 18.27 min/mile.   I burned 417 calories.    





AND....


As I completed this run, I questioned the fact that I have signed up for the Hyannis Half Marathon, on 24 February.  Last year, this race utterly and completely kicked my butt..... everything that could possibly go wrong, went wrong.  And here I am struggling to run a minute.    

So, I did a reality check.  I am fit.  My hamstring is the weakest link right now.  I feel capable to do this;   I need to strengthen the weak link.  My goal is to be able to run this in its entirety.   REGARDLESS of how slow I go, I want my hamstring to conquer.   

In that, I am going to continue to work on the strength, and endurance necessary.   I will continue running, cycling, swimming and rowing, as well as my strength work.  AND I am going to give it my best effort.   I cannot do more than that.   

Until that point..... look for me:  I will be wearing the SLOW MOVING VEHICLE sign on my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment