Monday, February 11, 2013

The Omnivore's Dilemma

I just finished reading The Omnivore's Dilemmma, by Michael Pollan.
 
In this discussion, Pollan evaluates the food industry from a variety of aspects:
-- the industrial meal: food from corn
-- the organic industrial meal
-- the local sustainable meal: food from grass
And
-- the do-it-yourself meal: hunted, gathered, and gardened food.
 
In all the aspects, Pollan looks at the realities of the food industry and guides the reader in making decisions best suited for the reader. It is an interesting read of one man's journey and analysis of what we consider food.
 
This book confirmed my choices in pursuing quality fruits and veggies as well as meat. I did learn that meat is seasonal, and organic can mean a variety of things, which may not be my interpretation. I also am seeking to support local farmers when I can. The issue of food is complex, and it is empowering to be armed with information that can aid in better

 

No comments:

Post a Comment