Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Perfect Storm

I just finished reading The Perfect Storm, by Sebastian Junger.

As a transplant to New England, the storms that ravaged the eastern seaboard affected me differently, than those who lived through the events of this storm. It was eye opening to me, to learn more about the risks and hardships involved with commercial fishing.

Junger does a great job in presentation of the events surrounding the loss of the Andrea Gail, the ship lost at sea and its six crewman. He also exposes the not so glamorous life of a commercial fisherman, and the hardships e cured by those involved by those involved in this livelihood.

For me, I found that the descriptions of the towns (which are now in my backyard) that rely on commercial fishing, very realistic. It was once a story, but now resounds as an event that is close to home. As a write this, I learned of a another family that lost a son at sea from fishing. Since moving to a coastal town, my appreciation for the sea and the secrets she holds has grown, and changed. I have always respected and loved the ocean, but now the respect has deepened.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment