Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Overcoming Fear........

Last week, I browsed in Walmart (of all places) in the bike section at the choices of helmets.   I was giving a presentation to kids on transition as part of their TriTraining.   And just like the pros, we practiced transition.   And that morning, I purchased a new helmet.     
 
   This decision was the single most frightening and empowering moment I have experienced in a long time.   You see, it was the helmet that saved my life. I bounced off the hood of a car many years ago.   And then, I was told -- I fell.  Yes, you read that correctly.  The driver was not held accountable, and I was told there was no accident -- she stopped in time, and I fell because I was startled.  REALLY?!?  The police did not believe that the driver hit me, knocked the bike out from under me, causing me to hit the vehicle and then land on the macadam (black top), knock out my front tooth, break my helmet, launch my phine 25 feet away from me, and create one of the most challenging journeys back I have ever experienced.......  Because......... it stayed with me.      Purchasing this helmet, meant I was stepping forward.      Yes, I have been riding inside.  Yes, I LOVE CYCLING!   Yes, I love triathlon!  And coaching! And teaching and sharing!   And I will continue to do so, regardless of the outcome.    But we all know that certain things stay with you!  And this accident and its aftermath is something that has terrified me on many levels.  It could have been so much worse, and I have been blessed.  And FEAR is a funny thing.   The mind tricks us into believing..........   And I have not competed in a triathlon since that accident.     

My crazy brain idea to compete in a half-iron next year is the next step in taking back what I lost in that accident.   

This morning, I took the time to put the helmet on and ensure it fit.   

Next up, the bike.   

I will be at Memorial Park picnic loop if you are looking for me.  

 

You know....... crazy might be good.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment