Thursday, October 9, 2014

Be Still

I was challenged last night to 'Be Still' and meditate or rest for five minutes a day this week,

and then continue through the month.

Five minutes of sitting still, being quiet and listening to God.

'Be still and know I am God'.

 

Five minutes is 300 seconds, is the time I can cover close to 3/4 of a mile (well, over half on a slow day). Five minutes is how long it takes to swim nearly 500 yards, and bike a little over a mile. And you want me to be still for five minutes.

 

Honestly, I am not certain I can sit still that long. The phone, the cats, all those things I am reminded I need to do..... The thoughts come running in my head.... For five whole minutes.

 

'Be still and know that I am God'

 

I was reminded of a segment in the book, Eat, Pray, Love where the other describes her first day of meditation in India. She was all set to meditate through this one prayer, and she opens her eyes and only one minute has gone by.

I totally can relate to the dilemma. How can I sit still for five whole minutes, when my boys are climbing on me, scampering across the apartment and...... And...... And.

 

Funny. This morning. As I sat, and focused on nothing specific. Just to be still. Just to listen. The apartment became silent. My phone. Was on vibrate in the other room, so I could not hear it. The boys curled up at my feet. The only sounds were the regular noises of the world outside. Inside it was still, and I felt the presence of God, and I felt safe, secure, peace and rest.

'Be still and know that I am God.'

 

I challenge you to take five minutes of your day this week, and be still. Take a break from the madness.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment