Friday, April 12, 2013

The Wonderful Chia Seed

I just finished reading the Aztec Diet.

The diet reflects the foods and diet of the Aztecs including: corn, beans, turkey, fish, veggies, fruit and 'super grains' like amaranth, bulgar, quinoa and chia.

I was curious to see how the author incorporated the chia seed in the program, as I use chia as a garnish, mixed in yogurt, sprinkled on salad or other foods. The author suggests that for the first 14 days the diet, one should drink a chia-seed smoothie for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a mid-afternoon snack of either a piece of fruit or veggies hummus, or veggies and quinoa. One puts close to 2tbsp of chia seeds in each smoothie. The author also suggests the females shouldn't consume more than 1200 calories in the first phase to accentuate weight loss. *I burned over 1200 calories teaching my spin classes the other day*. So, perhaps phase one is not a good place for me to start.

Never fear, it is suggested that the participant move ahead to phase two if she is hungry, or has low energy on phase one. Phase Two introduces a 'real meal' during the day in addition to two chia-smoothies. The meal should be the lunch meal a d consist of veggies, low-CL grains (or your suer grains) and lean protein.

The goal is to follow phase two for about six-weeks. It is during phase two that exercise is introduced.

After Phase Two, or 60-days into the program, the participant should be ready to begin Phase Three. Here the individual begins a program of three-meals/day with a mid-afternoon snack. The meals are built from the premium Aztec foods.

Truthfully, I was curious to learn more about the Aztec foods. Like the Paleo movement, I was intrigued to see what this perspective was. I was also curious to learn the significance of the Chia seed. Unfortunately, Chia seeds are rarely sold as cut or milled, and the author does not provide/recommend options for purchase. He just shares a study that says consuming the seed as a whole does not influence weight loss. *i did learn that one can grind the seeds at home in a coffee bean grinder*.

This book did not answer the questions to what I was seeking. It was informative, and directive to someone who would follow this diet plan. I was seeking more information about the eating habits of the Aztecs. The author does not consider that the Aztecs may not have eaten three-meals per/day, which may have had something to do with their health, in addition to the quality of the food choices. The Aztecs were warriors, and would have worked during the day, and eaten at dusk. (Yes, they might have eaten some fruit, veggies or meal during the day).

 

I did have a smoothie this morning. I don't necessarily like to drink smoothies-- I like the process of eating my foods. It creates the whole eating experience. I feel more satisfied than just drinking a 'shake.'

I will not follow this protocol for a variety of reasons. I will consider having an occasional smoothie or adding Chia seeds to my salads or other foods.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment