Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lifeguarding a TRI

Yesterday, I ventured out to Nickerson State Park, to lifeguard the Gut Check Tri. It was rainy, cold and windy. What an awesome day for a race! My first task was to place the buoys on the water at the markers.

 

These buoys are HUGE! And all I had was a kayak.
So, I am dragging, pulling, pushing the buoy to the marker through the wind on the lake. Needless to say, it was an exercise in futility. I managed to attach one buoy to its marker. JUST ONE! The smaller one was blown off shore. I retrieved it and then kept getting blown further and further out on the lake as I was attempting to attach it to the marker. I gave up when it was blown off my kayak and almost caused me to capsize! The third was blown off shore and was carried to the other side of the lake. And then the ONLY buoy that was attached to the marker pulled the weighted marker with it as it was blown across the lake.
Needless to say, the route plan was changed.
I love kayaking. It requires upper body strength, the ability to catch the water and paddle it. There are times, the catch isn't right and I am just moving my paddle. If the stroke is too deep or too shallow, it is ineffective, and useless.
After kayaking, my hip flexors are sore from stabilizing and my core feels like it has worked. Additionally, all those muscles involved in a pull, are also reminding me of the work they did. Yesterday was no different.
Today, I feel like I am fighting a cold from being in the cold and rain. I trust tomorrow I will be back in the swing of things.
Next year, I hope to compete in this race.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment